18

Challenge #27

Posted by The Design Experiment on 2:14 PM
Before we get to this weeks' challenge...we would like to make a little introduction!

As you may have noticed, we have been missing a couple of our DT members the last few weeks, and unfortunately, due to other obligations, Wendy and Kinsey have had to step down. They will be missed at TDX, but we know they are working on other artistic endeavors and we wish them the best of luck!

That being said: We have a couple new DT members to announce today!!!

Please join us in welcoming our two newest members:

The amazing and talented, Dena Coe and Divian Conner!!!

Girls, we are so beyond thrilled to have you here as a part of the TDX team!!!

Here is a little about our new girls:

Dena Coe:


A bit about Dena:

Hi! My name is Dena. I am a 30 yr. old SAHM to my daughter Zoë who is seven. I have been scrapbooking for the past 4 years in the traditional sense that we see it now but after literally digging through my hope trunk at home, I unearthed several scrapbooks that I had completely forgotten about! So I guess I was bitten by the bug by the time I was 8.

Currently I am a designer for Paper Trunk, Webster’s Pages and Bad Girls Kits. I feel deeply honored to be working with all of these companies and the amazing people at each one of them.

I love scrapbooking and everything it encompasses. It is such a great outlet both emotionally and artistically. I am so excited to have the chance join the wonderful designers here on the Design X team!


Divian Conner:

A bit about Divian:

I am a single mom of four going through a divorce. In my four fabulous babes, I not only find inspiration, I find life. Through them, I create and aim to preserve their years in my pages. Life is art, my art my babes, and my babes are my life.

Again, please welcome these girls, they are wonderful, and we are s
o excited to see what's in store for TDX with these ladies on the team!

*****************************************************
So, on to this weeks' challenge!

This one is a totally fun and surprising challenge! When you were a kid, were you fascinated by the dictionary? Maybe I was just a total goober, but I love words. I am a total word nerd, and love looking up new words I hear or see.

So this week, we are challenge you to:

Close your eyes, open the dictionary, and point to a word. Doe
s your word mean anything special to you? Why?

Remember! NO CHEATING! HEHEHE! We all used the first word we got...and some of us got super lucky with our words...maybe you will open the dictionary, and find a word you've never seen....(See? We're fun AND educational up in here!)

We can't wait to see what you create! Here's what we created:

******************************************************
Now-A-Days

By Kimmi

Journaling:

So, I grabbed the dictionary, and so I wouldn't cheat and choose a word of my likings, I gave it to my husband to find a page as my eyes were closed. The letter "n" is the letter he chose, hoping I'd land my finger on nuclear. haha. Too bad for him, my finger landed upon the word "nowadays". When I first thought about this challenge, I knew I'd end up re-choosing and picking a more meaningful word than just something random, but after seeing my first blind pick, I agreed I'd keep it.

I enjoy a good book. I really enjoy the Twilight saga. I like to act a bit goofy sometimes. Angel and I have our silly photo sessions often. I love being a SAHM. BB is my little gift from God. I like to wear my comfy shoes. All the time.




**********************************************************
Kin
By Divian


Journaling:

There is nothing like family. Nothing like it in the world and I wouldn't change that at all. Nope, at all.

*******************************************************
Bubbly
By Collette


Journaling:

Is how I feel when I know that you and I will be spending time together shopping, going out to eat, watching a moive, or simply just kicking back!



****************************************************
Sun {Tea}
By Emily


Emily Says:

I was nervous when I opened the dictionary, afraid I'd get some crazy word, but I ended up with "Tea" My first thought was BO-RING, but then I remembered a conversation I'd just had with my sister about Mom's Sun Tea..and I knew what I would do!

Journaling:

It always marked the beginning of summer for me. Mom would bring out the Sun Tea pitcher, and even though the sun could barely peek through the Seattle clouds, we'd have Sun Tea by the afternoon. It's still my favorite drink, no matter what Season!


****************************************************
Like
By Leslie


Journaling:

I like them - lots.
I like her & him & him. -THEM- lots & lots.
More like love. I am blessed with this incredible group.
My family. What's NOT to like? What's NOT to love?
My world - yep, they are my world.
This may be corny but - "they complete me".
So you tell me - - - how could you NOT like them?
My girl, my boy, my honey. My home. I really
do like them. LOTS & LOTS & LOTS!
~July 2008 - Smoky Mtns. ~



***********************************************************
Island
By Amy


Journaling:

I took out my dictionary, closed my eyes and pointed to a word. When I saw that I had picked the word "island" I remembered the quote, "No man is an island." I can't put into words how glad I am that I'm not going at this alone. If I didn't have you, I know I would never make it. You are my rock, my strength, my soul and I am so thankful you're with me.


************************************************************
Not Quite Cosmopolite
By Dena Coe


Dena Says:

When I found out that our challenge was to use a random word from the dictionary, I was both excited and panicked. I realized I don't even OWN a dictionary! Can you believe that? What kind of parent am I? So I resorted to using an online dictionary that featured a word of the day. My word was COSMOPOLITE-a person who is at home in every place; a citizen of the world. And well anyone who knows me, knows I am not quite that. This was a really fun challenge and it brought to my attention the need to own or at least be able to locate a dictionary!

Journaling:

I have never been much of a "country" livin girl, even though I live in a town of only 23,000 people. But I am not a big city girl either. I love to go and visit Portland and Seattle, places like that, but I know that I would never be able to call those towns home. While Roseburg is tiny, there is nothing to do here, we have to do any real shopping out of town, this is home. Where I will raise my family. Where it is safe, comfortable. Now maybe a move is on the horizon and we will move on to bigger and better things. But for now, I will be a little city girl with a big city heart.


************************************************************
Three Kiddos I Love

By Sasha


Sasha Says:

My word was THREE so I did a LO about the 3 men in my life, they are the reason I smile on my dark and gloomy days. My hubby and I are both active duty and we both have pics of each other with our kids, when I was deployed last year to Iraq I had pics like these in my BDU pants everyday, to remind me of the fun times together. I purposely used this picture since I was running out of ink and made it work with other bright colors. Enjoy

****************************************************
Now it's your turn Experimenters!

Once you have completed your layout, please leave us a comment in this post with a link to your layout by 7pm PST on Sunday to be eligible to win the RAK full of goodies from Webster's Pages!

We can't wait to see YOUR takes on the challenge! We hope that if you've never joined us for a challenge here at The Design Experiment, that you are inspired to do so today!


18 Comments


LOVE everyones designs:)
Welcome to the DT newcomers...hope to get to chat with everyone soon....the chats are scheduled at a time of madness and mayhem at my house, lol....but hopefully soon:)


Everyone got such great words, but maybe there is some purpose for that, those were the stories you needed to scrapbook, so the right word came. I am so nervous about picking a word, what if it really sucks?

And welcome new DT, can't wait to see more of your work, it looks great already.


LOVE EVERYONE's take on this challenge WOW .. and welcome to the team ladies .. always yall let's see what word your finger picks for you hee hee..

Good Luck ..

Sasha
TDX


Ok, this was WAY to fun to pass up~
You can view my LO Here.
http://scrapznstuff.blogspot.com/2008/09/conversations.html

Thanks for the inspiration! :)


Oh girls they're all SO GREAT!
Kimmi - I totally LOVED your challenge!

Dena & Divian - yay!!!!! WELCOME to the team girls!

Can't WAIT to see what everyone does for this challenge - load 'em up!


AMAZING work ladies!!


Gawd! I'm such a nerd...i LOVE my dictionary!! This is going to be F-U-N!


this is a great challenge even though my word seems so much harder! I totally blame my finger :) AM off to "think" !


Thanks for this superb challenge! I love it! Your layouts rocked...

Here's my layout:

http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=129030&user_id=10100

Safo xoxo


These are stunning!!!!!!
And congrats girls, a big shout out to my friend, Dena! LUV YA!
Dani


What a fun challenge! And congrats to the new girls! Especially my peep Dena! Wink! So was it a requirement to be a hott mama when choosing DT members??? Both girls are so PURTY!!!


WoWeeeee some beauitful inspiring LO's here!!. I promise I didn't cheat and the proof is the awful word I got...lol...'Seize', anyways here's my take
http://scrapcass.blogspot.com/2008/09/design-x.html

Thanks so much for a great challenge, and I look forward to the next one

Cheers
Cass


Thanks ladies! All of the layouts look awesome!


Wow! This brought out a layout I never expected to create! Thanks for the soul searching challenge! I know that's not what was intended, but that's what this turned into for me! My word: reverse
My Layout: http://justjingle.blogspot.com/2008/09/reverse.html


Here's mine!!

http://wannabeescrapper.blogspot.com/2008/09/design-experiment.html


OH I LOVE IT!!!

http://nancywithajones.blogspot.com/2008/09/it-is-raining.html

Here is mine


Ladies! You have me hooked!

Here's my challenge entry:
http://www.gethappygetscrappy.com/?p=17

Can't wait for next week :)

-Carter


so apparently, I am too late....but here it is anyway!
http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=130353